Friday, April 18, 2014

I Saw God Today

Today is Good Friday. That means it's almost Easter! I really love Easter. It means its springtime, there will be ham and lots of good food, church with family, and my favorite part of all is the reminder that Jesus paid for my eternity!! Praise The Lord I know where I will be spending the days after days! Believer or not, the story of Christ's life, death, and resurrection has a lot of lessons we can all learn from. Love, kindness, giving, mercy, grace, hope and most of all forgiveness.

The trial we are currently facing is teaching us lots of lessons! We are able to see God working in so many ways here on the farm. George Strait sings the song "I Saw God Today." I have always liked it (not that there's much to dislike about King George), but we see God every day here. We see him in the green fields, in the trees, in the dandelion flowers the Milkmaids pick for me, even though they make me sneeze! He is in the birth of each calf, the life cycle of each momma cow, and in every bill we are able to pay. God lives in our hearts and our home. I hope we move out of the way enough for him to show through each member of our family. 

I haven't really taken the time to be unproductive and ask, "Why did this happen to us, God?" I said before and I'll say it again He has a bigger plan at work and it isn't my job to know it, its my job to follow it. We have learned to keep our faith, hold onto hope, to accept the kindness of others with grace. Farmers are proud people. They don't like to ask for help or accept any sort of "handout." It is against everything the Milkman possesses to continually accept the help being offered, but he has learned a good lesson in this. He is always willing to give whatever he can to help someone else. A couple of years ago a devastating tornado hit a small town near us. A fellow dairy farmer was killed in his barn trying to push the cows in, out of the weather. The Milkman, along with so many others, spent the whole day moving and sorting the momma cows. The farms around here took on as many of the cows as they could, us included. We milked them until a decision was made on what to do. The family decided to sell most of the cows and we got them hauled to the sale barn. It was natural to help another farmer in need. It didn't feel like we did much to help, but what the community did as a whole helped that family work through an extremely tough time. 

I am frequently disappointed in people. In their lack of kindness, willingness to help, and in their disregard of others, but when there is such a show of kind spiritedness it is moving. Sometimes you can see a glimpse of Jesus in people. It restores hope in humanity and inspires faith in God. 

To some people every Friday is a good Friday. To a farmer, its just another day. Saturday works as hard as Monday. Sunday is a little less demanding, but the momma's still have to be milked twice, everything has to be fed, and the baby calves need some milk. This Sunday, Easter Sunday, will probably be a little extra busy while we continue to work on rebuilding, but we will work as a family and stop for church, and praise God for the blessings we have, especially ones we take for granted. 

This Easter as you celebrate with your family, celebrate the little things. be kind to others, and focus on the mercy, grace, love, hope, and forgiveness Jesus has shown each one of us. Don't worry, the Milkmaids, Milkman, and myself will stop for some ham and deviled eggs, hunt some Easter eggs, party with what the Easter Bunny leaves for my Milkmaids and be grateful for every minute we have.

Good Friday everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment