Sunday, May 11, 2014

Momma Knows

"Mom!" "Momma!" "Mother!"

"I pooped."

"I'm hungry."

"I need you to take me to...."

"I accidentally walked across the glass coffee table and...."

"I'm thirsty!"

"I don't want to!"

"I'm bored."

"Where is...(anything and everything)"

"I need a band-aid!!"

"There is something sticky/nasty/dirty/gross on the floor. What is it, Mom?!"

"He/She is looking at me!"

There is a "mom response" to each and every one of those quotes above. Moms are forces to be reckoned with. They know what's going on before it is ever brought to their attention. They have an answer for every question, even if it isn't the best answer around. Moms come with built in voice detectors. Mom's know when your attitude is flaring up and an adjustment might be necessary, or when you are serious about something. As well as voice control, they can put meaning into any word with simple voice inflection. Middle names....given for the sole purpose of getting a point across.

Moms. They wear many hats. I could list the jobs they hold. And tell you how much each job would be worth, if they were in the market for another job. I can tell you that it may look easy, but that's because we are experts. Or we are good at faking it. A lot of both at my house. 

Every job I've had to do and every strange/bothersome/stressful question I've ever had to answer has been completely worth it to watch my Milkmaids grow up. 

I'll be honest....being a parent is the absolute hardest job on the planet. Take a hike crab fishermen. When I was younger, especially those teenage years, being a parent looked awesome. "I can't wait until I can do whatever I want." "I can't wait until I make the rules." "I will never [insert whatever my parents wouldn't let me do/made me do.]" This was supposed to be easy. I was supposed to have keys to the world. All the answers. Nothing could hold me back. And who comes along to ruin that all? 

Reality. That's who. 

I was lucky. My parents were good ones. God put me in a home where I was loved, and disciplined. In my house we learned love, compassion, commitment. We learned to fiercely defend our family members, friends, and anyone that couldn't defend themselves. My parents loved (still do) me and my brother with fiber of their being. We were taught God's love and sacrifice. We weren't rich or famous or had everything we wanted. My parents said NO. They taught me to be independent (even though they will tell you I was born that way) and that I can do anything I put my mind to. 

Above all that, I knew that my parents were (and are) proud of me. They always encouraged me and challenged me to be a better person. My mom is an amazing lady. She has always been every definition of a mother. The adjectives I could use to describe my mom just wouldn't do her justice.

Mom, Thank you for always being a good example and a voice of reason, even when I didn't and don't want to hear it. I love you more than I can say. Happy Mother's Day, Mom!!

To all the other mother's out there: Happy Mother's Day! You may or may not be a mother in the traditional sense, but someone is looking up to you. Someone is loving you. Go ahead and enjoy your day!

Mothers...keep on keeping on. You have all the answers. You know where everything is. You might be the behind wiper, the disciplinarian, the finder of all things and feel unappreciated, but you are appreciated. You are loved.

Happy Mudder's Day!!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment