Tuesday, May 6, 2014

On the Run

They got me. I got caught.

Stinkin' allergies. I was doing so good. Taking my medicine was hit or miss. Sometimes I forgot. Too busy for remembering. No matter, the allergies were staying away. They were afraid of me. Not anymore.

Today I suffer the full force of the tiny particles that bring grown men to their knees. Crying like babies. Well, maybe that is just the itchy watery eyes, but still....watch out grown men. They will come for you too.

All the itchy eyes, raw throat, glassy eyes, semi-one nostril breaths, sneezes, that noise you make when you are trying to pull the stupid thick snot out of your head so you can spit that crap out. We all do it. Don't even get grossed out. Don't be a snot snob. Don't pretend your thick snot doesn't get stuck in your head too. We all know it does.

Allergies always lead to one thing for me....a sinus infection. The pressure and the ick. Lord help. Not only is there thick snot, but it is green. In case you didn't notice the snot before....it'll turn green and mock you. "See me now, dontcha? I will NOT be ignored!" And my poor kiddos when they get it. It is green all over their face and their pillow and the kleenexes. Holy stars. My kids are kleenex ninjas. Whole box of kleenexes. Box empty. Just like that. Blink of an eye, turn of the head and we are O-U-T of the soft puffy saviors of noses. Well now we are down to paper towels. Because Heaven forbid we move on to toilet paper. We CANNOT run out of that.

The Milkman doesn't like to go to the doctor when he gets the curse of the green snot. He prefers to run to the local vet supply and grab some fishbiotics. I have a friend the same way. (You know who you are...I don't even have to say your name. You are reading this thinking "she is talking about me!") Yes. I am talking about you. Apparently they do the same thing for you as a real antibiotic only it takes a little longer. I don't know. I'm not a fish. I don't take fishbiotics, but that's your prerogative. It hasn't killed the Milkman or the unnamed yet.

She really should get a name. Without this particular friend I really wouldn't have this blog. She encouraged me, pushed me, gets first read and edits my posts. She needs a name. HMMM.... I call her husband Fancy Pants. Fancy Pants has been here with the Milkman every single day since the barn went up in flames. He's worked his fancy pants right in to work pants. Maybe I will just call her Mrs. Fancy Pants. She also has fancy pants sometimes.

I got off track. We were discussing snot. And allergies. Between working on this barn, keeping the jungle in our yard tamed, playing outside with the Milkmaids, and softball, my run from allergies was doomed. I was bound to be caught. So I have successfully taken enough antihistamine, decongestant, and ibuprofen to function. I will prevail. Even if I have to sacrifice and get a shot in the butt (well the hip, but the Milkman always teases the kids about getting a shot in the butt.) My head may feel a little swim-ish, but I can breathe and my eyes aren't red and puffy. That is certainly a win in my book.

Every year people start saying "this has been the worst year for allergies." Every year allergies suck.

You'd think we would develop an immunity to pollen. Nope. The pollen wins. I'd get a vaccination for that. Could the government fund that, please? Instead of some of the other ridiculous research they pay for. This would be worthwhile. This would benefit humanity.

What do you do to combat allergies? I'll try anything. Maybe not anything. I've not resorted to fishbiotics for the sinus infection yet. Yet. I'll wait and see what long term effects the Milkman and Mrs. Fancy Pants suffer from!









No comments:

Post a Comment