Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Diary of a Dairy Wife: If You Want Something Done Right....

If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

Or teach someone else how to do it exactly the way you want it done, hover, critique, micromanage, all the while driving yourself and everyone else crazy.

Control freaks (like myself) tend to like things done a certain way. In a certain order. Usually in a certain amount of time. And it's hard to let go, even a little, and watch someone else *try* to do it the "right way."

But then there are those times where I'm so tired of running that I just want someone to help out. So I delegate. And I've learned that even if it isn't exactly like I like it...we are all much happier if I don't go redo whatever someone else has done. It may take every fiber of my being and semi-physical restraint to keep from "fixing" whatever it is, but I'm learning.

We all have those quirks. We all want the things that are important to us done a particular way.

Mostly.

You know what I'm talking about...making the beds, cleaning the bathroom, changing the baby's diaper, milking the cows, cleaning the guns, changing the oil, greasing the machinery. Those things that we get anal about. The process. You and I may do it differently, but we get the same result. Does the process really matter?

Not on most things.

But then there are the things we don't really think about.

This one might get a little controversial. It might not make everyone happy. But I'm gonna preach..er...say it anyway.

In 1962 we saw a drastic change. Does anyone know what it is?

Prayer was taken out of schools. Engel v. Vitale (thanks google) was the case that prompted the U.S. Supreme Court to set precedence on the matter. It said that prayer in schools violated the First Amendment by constituting an establishment of religion.

There is much debate about our beloved country being founded by Christian morals. That is kind of loaded. Our country was started because a group of people wanted to flee religious persecution. Were they of Christian morals? Yes they were. Did they write the original legislation and start our country based on Christian values? Yes they did. But the very basic reason this country was founded was because they wanted freedom from religious persecution.

We don't really like to acknowledge that part.

Before you get your panties in a twist...I'm not saying open the borders and flood the terrorists in. (Not that it isn't already happening....but that's another soapbox for another day and time) I'm saying that while our country was founded on Christian morals it was also started by people wanting religious freedom.

If you've read any of my blogs you know I am a Christian. I have strong faith and I am sturdy in my beliefs. Basically, you can't change my mind. I am blessed with amazing parents that instilled great morals and showed me Jesus. Everyone should be so lucky as my brother and I, to have parents that teach faith and love. I would certainly not be the person that I am today without their support and teaching. I believe that we have a savior that gave His life for mine and for anyone else that believes and asks for forgiveness. Anyone willing to accept His free gift of salvation is welcome into Heaven. I don't care what you have done or who you were or who you have become, God loves you and is willing to forgive. And as a Christian, it is my job to teach that to my kids.

Wait....who's job?

Oh yes...MINE. It. Is. My. Job.

I think the world we live in is a sad one. There is so much hate and violence.

Why do I think there is so much hate and violence?

Let me tell you. And you might not like it.....

Because we are failing as parents.

We are worried about everything under the sun. We are worried about having a big house with a fancy car and the kids having everything their little hearts desire. We are worried about the lawn and the groceries and the manicure and the meetings and the parties and the everything going on in the world. Not that most of those things aren't important. And if you are worried about those things I'm not saying you are wrong...I worry about most of those things. But we are so wrapped up in getting to where we want to be that we forget to teach our kids love and kindness and respect and salvation.

It is my job to teach my kids to pray.
It is my job to teach my kids to love.
It is my job to teach my kids to respect others.
It is my job to teach my kids salvation and faith.
It is my job to teach my kids.

Repeat that with me....

It is MY job to teach my kids.

Hold up...I cannot in any way, shape, or form teach my kids science, math, reading, writing, or any of the things I send them to school for.

On that note: Parents....teachers have a hard job. They take care of your kids 5 days a week. They have gone to school to learn how to teach your kids. They give your kids knowledge and the ability to go out into the world and get a job. They are not responsible for your kids prayers or faith. Stop getting all up in the teacher's grill if your kid can't behave at school....that's on you. Got it? Because as a parent, who's job is it to teach your kids respect?
That's right...lemme hear it....

There are exceptions to every rule. Some teachers probably shouldn't be teachers, but for the most part, cut them some slack.

I am not very good at stopping my schedule and sitting down with the Milkmaids to have a devotion or talk about God. We aren't that family that has a devotional before supper. We are doing good to get everyone to eat supper. So this is not me condemning anyone. We do get in the car every morning, turn down the radio, and pray together. Milkmaid #1 gives thanks for our blessings and asks God to watch over us as we go thru our day. Then I say a prayer, mostly going over the same things, and begging God for all of us to stay healthy. Because y'all all know about having sickness in your house. Oh Dear Jesus keep away the germs!! And then sometimes Milkmaid #2 says the "God is great, God is good" prayer and thanks him for the food we aren't currently eating, but we don't stop her.

It is important to pray with your kids. For your kids, also, but out loud. So they can hear you talking to God. I do a lot of silent, mental praying. Usually asking for something. Trying to remember to thank Him for the things He's blessed us with. Let your kids hear you pray. Teach them to pray at home.

Engle v. Vitale did not take away your kids right to pray at school.

That verdict said that prayer couldn't be required and couldn't be led by school staff. That does not take away your kids right to pray at school. Or tell others about God. And you know where they should be learning about praying and God? At home. That's right....it is MY job to teach MY kids to pray.

I'm going to be really honest here (shocking, right? Me? Honest?). I DO NOT want prayer in my kids school. I do not want them to reinstate that freedom. Do you know why? Because I want to teach my kids about my faith. I do not want them on a mat praying to Allah. And I do not want them in a pentagram drawn on the floor chanting. I realize that many people that aren't necessarily Christian think it's best to just let your kids choose what they believe. And my kids will. But they will know all about my faith and my God and my beliefs. If they want to believe something different I will have to cross that bridge when I get there. But come on parents...if you have faith, do you really want it taught at school? How would that fit into common core? It certainly wouldn't just talk about one religion of your choosing.

On the farm, The Milkman teaches our employees how to run our equipment and milk in our barn. He takes time to show the Milkmaids how we do things and why. He wouldn't expect someone else to teach the people working here or our girls how to run this particular farm. He wouldn't send them to a school to learn how our particular barn works. He takes responsibility. He will teach our people himself. Because this farm is our livelihood. It is what we love and where we make our money. And if he can take the time and the responsibility to teach about how we operate, I don't think its too much to ask that parents take responsibility for teaching their own kids certain things.

Teach your kids to pray.
Teach your kids to love.
Teach your kids about respect.
Teach your kids about salvation and faith.

It is our job, as parents, to stop worrying about how everything is going to get done, and make sure we are taking time to teach our kids the values that are important to us.

If we don't teach our kids what is important to us, someone else will teach our kids what is important to them.  And when I look around the world today, what is important to so many, has nothing to do with anyone but themselves. We live in a selfish world. Teach your kids that it doesn't have to be a selfish place.

It is my job to teach my kids about life. And I am up for the challenge? Are you?




No comments:

Post a Comment