Monday, February 19, 2018

Dear Teachers

“Let my teaching drop as the rain, My speech distill as the dew, As raindrops on the tender herb, And as showers on the grass.” Deuteronomy 32:2 

I don’t know how you do it. I can’t wrap my mind around the sacrifices that you are willing to make. 

I see you, teachers, five days a week, being the care giver to my children, as well as 20 or so more. I see you adoring the well mannered ones and loving the ones crying out in unlovable ways. I can’t imagine because when I try to think about what you see, my heart shatters. 

Beyond your time and money sacrifices, beyond controlling the chaos that is your classroom, you give of yourself because sometimes nobody is giving to the innocent ones. You deplete reserves that you try to save for your own family because you know this kid needs it more.

I see you battling entitlement, arrogance, and the other defense mechanisms that kids throw up. Some because they are just kids and some because defense is all they know.

Teachers, you walk a fine line of teaching, loving, and sacrifice, without crossing into parental territory even if there may not be a parent over there. You are a target when kids who’ve never been taught respect, right from wrong, or love, are reprimanded for bad behaviors. You are abused by a few kids, a few parents, and never adequately appreciated or paid for what you put into this job.

The reward comes in the form of watching the impact you make, even if only with a few of the students you funnel through. The reward comes because you do something that you love, that you are passionate about. Those rewards are few and far between sometimes, but if you couldn’t see them, you wouldn’t keep doing this. 

I, a parent, need you to know that I appreciate you. I send my kids to school because I am confident that you are doing everything you know how, to take care of my children. Some of you carry the same faith as I, and that brings me comfort. 

I am praying for you.

I send my children to school because my faith is bigger than my fear. I send them because I believe that God has put YOU in their lives so that you can impact them or maybe so they can impact you. Hopefully, both will happen, in good ways.

You shouldn’t ever have to make the choice to sacrifice your life for theirs, but those times have come for some. This world is a sad place and that burden that you bear, to take care of a classroom full of kids, does not go unnoticed. 

I notice. 

I hope and pray that you feel the appreciation, the prayers, the love, and the admiration I have for what you do. I’m thankful for you and for the sacrifices you’ve made. 

You may be the only example of goodness in the lives of some of the kids you teach. You may be an example of kindness to others for a child that’s never received or seen freely given kindness. You may be the example and driving force for a child that has aspirations to become just like you. Each of these children are impressionable, and nobody understands that quite like you. 

I want you to know that while I can’t fathom how you do what you do, I don’t always see what you see, or experience what you experience,

I SEE you. 
I APPRECIATE you. 
I am THANKFUL for you.
I am PRAYING for you.

Keep fighting the good fight. You make a difference. 




Galatians 6:9 “And let us not grow weary while doing good, for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.”


Titus 2:7-8 “Likewise, exhort the young men to be sober-minded, in all things showing yourself to be a pattern of good works; in doctrine showing integrity, reverence, incorruptibility sound speech that cannot be condemned, that one who is an opponent may be ashamed, having nothing evil too say of you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment