Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Dairy of a Dairy Wife: Excuses, Jesus, and Hammocks

Okay, okay. So I’ve let myself (and maybe you guys) down a little. My goal was to have at least one post a week, but I missed last week. I have lots of excuses. One of them is that we actually got to go on a mini vacation. The Milkman, Milkmaids and I went with my family to Branson for a few nights. We got to go to Silver Dollar City, Dixie Stampede, and do a little shopping and a lot of eating. It was really nice to go do something as a family. My other excuse is that it’s summer. That means the Milkmaids are both home almost every day and I have to do the taxi driving thing where I drive us here and there and this camp and that lesson or appointment. 

When I write most of my posts I have to sit down and focus and finish the whole thing, but that doesn’t very well happen when my two Milkmaids need me every few minutes. Not really NEED me, but don’t you know that the best way to get the attention of your children is to sit down and either look comfortable or start doing something that you would rather not be interrupted doing. That is making it rather difficult for me to focus, but it by far ranks in the top 3 of my favorite distractions. 

So here I am…sitting in the car with my laptop, at violin lessons. Milkmaid #1 has been taking lessons for almost 2 years and Milkmaid #2 hates coming. Luckily Grandma Moo-Moo keeps her for the 30 minutes we have lessons. Heaven forbid #2 be trapped in the car while #1 works on her violin playing skills. Then again…if #2 is with Grandma Moo-Moo I get that 30 minutes to try to read, do a little work, or type up a blog post for my sanity and your entertainment. Thank goodness for the little things!

Summer is going way better than spring so far. The rain has kept coming fairly often and the crops keep growing, Praise The Lord. We still don’t have the barn completely finished, but it works. We have been able to get the Milkman a new (to us)  farm truck and just today we (he) got a new (to us) tractor. Sometimes you find a deal you can’t pass up and you drive halfway across the state to get it! The Lord has just blessed us beyond belief. You have to sometimes realize that you aren’t just taking the bad with the good, but the bad brings the good. If you allow God do to what He does best and quit trying to interfere He makes things happen that you can’t even dream up. 

By all accounts we should have gone out of business. Yes, milk prices are (luckily) good this year and cattle prices are outstanding and feed prices are lower than they’ve been in a while, but with the dwindling number of small dairy farms and the incentives to sell out (high cattle prices) not many folks would have rebuilt. And as I reflect on how this year has gone and all the decisions we had to make without much time to think about it I know that we did what God had planned for us. It was by design that we have 2 good friends in the dairy business so close to us that could handle our herd and that we had so many neighbors and friends that helped us. I have no doubt that we still have our farm because God has a plan for our lives doing what we love.

I have said it all before…and maybe you’re tired of hearing it, but that won’t stop me from repeating myself about my faith and love for God and what He’s done in my life.

I have a hard time seeing how people don’t believe in God and don’t have any faith. I have friends that are agnostic or just don’t really believe that there is a higher being. They know my faith, and know my belief, but it is difficult for me to understand them not having one. I was obviously raised in church and my family has a strong faith base…a long, long line of it so I am a little one sided on the topic. I have made it known before that I completely understand why people wouldn’t want to go to church and why people wouldn’t want to call themselves a Christian. We don’t make ourselves a very desirable people with all our judging and hypocrisy….so I completely understand that, but the part about not believing in anything? I can’t say it seems “sad” because there have been times when it seemed like it would be easier to believe nothing. But I don’t think I could go from the faith and belief I have to believing in nothing. 

The only reason I have faith in humanity is because I have my faith in God. We are without a doubt, the most destructive creatures. We easily hurt each other and disregard what we are responsible for. The only redemption I can understand is God. 

Sometimes it just comes down to the end for me. If I am wrong the worst that will happen is that I spent a lifetime believing in something that didn’t exist and then I die. End of story. If I’m right….people that don’t believe and haven’t found salvation suffer an eternity of hellfire and misery. I tend to be someone that weighs consequences heavily before making a decision and maybe that’s why the previous argument would be enough to make me search for some truth and I’d be hard pressed to disregard it completely. On that note, we, as Christians, should be a little more excited to spread that little bit of eternity information….lots of people will be wishing we told them, or that they’d listened when someone did.

As Christians we are supposed to go out and spread The Word and live as good examples of Christ and we aren’t always very good at it. I’m not. But I want to be. And as much as I believe I do this blog for me, I know that I wouldn’t have done it if God hadn’t laid it heavily on my heart. I am not a Christian writer, but I hope to use this to share my faith as well as my life and loves. 

I hope you will all forgive me for missing a post last week….I was busy being momma, dairywife, daughter, taxi driver, and all those other things. The Milkman did see me sitting in my new hammock one day last week and began writing a song. He was singing “Oh, it must be nice to be a dairy farmer’s wife!” and he was belting it as he drove by the backyard with a load of mixed feed. I could hear the beautiful melody over the tractor and the mixer wagon. As much as his tune might fall out of his bucket from time to time it was beautiful to me. It really is nice to be a dairy farmer’s wife. Thank God that it is nice even when it isn’t easy. Those hammock days are few and far between, but somehow the Milkman always sees me at those times…



No comments:

Post a Comment